A traditional commitment to care
Thomas Edwin Box having established numerous companies in Yorkshire comprising of funeral vehicles, taxis and buses for use by the local community, was advised to retire on medical grounds and consequently through past business connections, chose Blackpool as his future home. On arrival in 1915 in Blackpool he purchased a depot of a well known local company, S & J Woods Ltd. latterly notorious for operating the superior of Seagull Coaches, at Hawes Side Lane, Marton Blackpool and thus Box Bros. Ltd. Was available to serve Blackpool and the Fylde district.
Alec Box who had been invalided out of the Army in 1918 assisted in helping his father in controlling and expanding the business with horse drawn funeral vehicles, landaus, taxis and in 1923 realised that it was prudent to purchase motorised hearses and limousines for the funeral service as an alternative to horse drawn vehicles. Through war time conditions in 1940 it was necessary to dispose of the famous Belgian Blacks Horses which Thomas Edwin as an extremely capable four in hand driver with his stallions had to accept.
Box Bros. Ltd. having done a business survey on their arrival in Blackpool approached S & J Woods Ltd and James Lucas Blackpool Ltd with a suggestion to form a company viz Blackpool Funeral Carriage proprietors to be controlled from the premises in Hawes Side Lane which they readily accepted. Through the increase in the interest of coaches S & J Woods Ltd withdrew from the company in the late 1940’s and in the late 1950’s Box Bros. Ltd. purchased the old established James Lucas Blackpool Ltd formally of George Street and Layton Road, Blackpool.
Trevor Box the grandson of the founder joined the Company in 1947 and he soon realised that the use of a Chapel of Repose instead of the family home was on the increase, and at that time the normal vehicles being used for removals of deceased consisted of hearses or black vans. To add to Box Bros. Ltd. prestige the option of a purpose built Ambulance was made available which was immediately accepted by the hospitals and nursing homes. This situation was one of the first Funeral Services in the country and at the present time it is now an essential part of any companies transport.
Through the growth of holidays abroad repatriations were implemented for persons on holiday or desiring to be returned to their original home country. It is necessary to seek advice of the British Consul or Coroner and through the experience of Box Bros. Ltd. it is accepted that the company is acknowledged to be one of the most knowledgeable Funeral Service offering repatriations worldwide.
Stephen Box the fourth generation of the family joined the company in 1984 and his knowledge of modern technology and embalming coupled with his introduction of computers proved most beneficial to the continued growth of the company. Through his recommendation a most appropriate property was purchased in Poulton le Fylde which is suitable for qualified residential Funeral Directors to cover all aspects of a Funeral Service to the local community and all the surrounding districts.
Available for all religions and situated in the centre of Poulton le Fylde, it has proved to be an asset for the needs of any family requiring advice and being the only available Chapel of Repose in Poulton le Fylde it fulfills an essential part of a funeral service.